Still Standing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NELLY FURTADO - THE SPIRIT INDESTRUCTIBLE THREAD

+3
Alonso
Gary
Gabe
7 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

NELLY FURTADO - THE SPIRIT INDESTRUCTIBLE THREAD - Page 15 Empty Re: NELLY FURTADO - THE SPIRIT INDESTRUCTIBLE THREAD

Post by Gary Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

This gives a good insight into where she is heading in the future and it doesn't look promising:

While the sales statistics haven’t been spectacular, and the reviews even less positive, The Spirit Indestructible represents an important signpost in the singer’s career. Not only did she feel rejuvenated making the recording with producer Rodney Jerkins, one of her longtime idols, Furtado threw every idea she had at its creation, from reggae rhythms to dance beats.

She said she didn’t pay much attention to what is currently on the charts. It’s too late to abandon her play-anything ideals at this point in her career, Furtado admitted. “The choices I’ve made have helped me for the long term. Now, after this album, I can finally do whatever the heck I want to do. I can do a Portuguese album, or a Brazilian pop album, or another English album. Now I feel like I can truly do what I want to do. A bit of an exhale, I guess you could say.”

Despite wanting to be free from constraints as a performer, Furtado is nonetheless at a career crossroads. She is eager to start anew, perhaps as an independent artist.

She has one English-language album left on her contract with Interscope Records, which will be cleared off the books in due time.

Work on it has already begun, Furtado said. By the time it wraps, she will reassess her priorities.

If anything, she expects further changes.

“My long-term goal is to be independent, quite frankly,” she said. “I got quite spoiled doing Mi Plan, and in the context of my English projects, I’ve had a lot of creative freedom. It’s quite addictive, that creative independence. You start to crave it more and more as you move forward.”

Gary
Admin
Admin

https://stillstanding.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

NELLY FURTADO - THE SPIRIT INDESTRUCTIBLE THREAD - Page 15 Empty Re: NELLY FURTADO - THE SPIRIT INDESTRUCTIBLE THREAD

Post by Gary Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 am

She performed to just 500 people in Vancouver on her tour.... The review was scathing:

Whoa, what happened Nelly?

Hard to believe that Furtado would be playing to a handful of fans (were there even 500 in attendance?) compared to the crowds she sang for in 2007, the year she swept the Juno Awards ceremony she was hosting in Saskatoon in the spring thanks to her Timbaland-produced album Loose, on the cusp of performing at Wembley stadium for the Concert for Diana that July.

What should have been a triumphant comeback at the Orpheum Theatre, where Wednesday’s concert was originally scheduled, turned into bit of a bummer.

And although The Spirit Indestructible shows Furtado digging back to her roots and collaborating with a host of top-notch producers including Timbaland, Tiesto and The Neptunes, the result is a hit-and-miss mish-mash of an album that never really takes off.

The same could be said of Furtado’s performance at the Commodore: It was an uphill battle.

Her stage banter remains, even after all these years, almost superfluous, Furtado handing out snoozers like, “Thank you for coming to the show tonight” with as little energy as possible.

One would have thought that, on home turf at least, Furtado would have tried to give fans a little more than flat niceties.

However, looking around a room filled with aging fans and a half-empty dance floor, you couldn’t help but wonder if Furtado’s better years as a headlining performer and a multi-platinum seller were already behind her.

“Why do all things come to an end?” she sang on All Good Things. Is it too early to ask?

The rest of the concert was laborious, Furtado missing her cue on High Life and forcing a re-start. The song also featured a “La la la la” sing-along that definitely did not need cardboard cue cards. Tacky.

Capping things off: A sub-par disco version of hit single Promiscuous, a contrived cover of Madonna’s Like A Prayer, and redemption in the form of a floor-stomping Maneater.

It may be a good thing that Furtado is already looking beyond her own singing career, as her openers reflected.

Her hometown gig in Victoria didn't fare much better. In a different review:

Furtado, 34, kicked off her cross-country tour at the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, a concert which drew 2,353 followers. For the biggest-selling artist of 2007, a two-time Grammy winner with multiple No. 1 singles on her docket, that’s an almost unthinkable tally.

Furtado opened her show with a pair of singles from her new album, followed by two of her time-worn hits. She would repeat this yin-yang approach for the duration of her 90-minute performance, occasionally with so-so results. Her success or failure almost always came back to her voice, and her specific use of it.

Despite her catalogue of past hits, Furtado chose to sing a number of covers. The jazz staple Quando, Quando, Quando; a scatty cover of Missy Elliott’s Get Ur Freak On (which she dedicated to the Landsdowne Middle School jazz program and her former instructor, Fred Hagen); the Steve Miller Band’s Fly Like an Eagle; and an out-of-place rendition of Madonna’s Like a Prayer.

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alonso Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:16 am

Ouch!! NELLY FURTADO - THE SPIRIT INDESTRUCTIBLE THREAD - Page 15 3687438596
Alonso
Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 am

Working with Nelly (Rapper) on his new album MO

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Eater Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 pm

you guys are insane if you think Nelly will be back from the hasbeen zone
Soul Eater
Soul Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabe Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Nelly and Nelly are both done.
Gabe
Gabe
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Fluff Ball wrote:you guys are insane if you think Nelly will be back from the hasbeen zone
Nobody in their right mind would think Nelly F could comeback from this level of failure.

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Single#11

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabe Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Props to her for putting out singles and music videos despite the tremendous margin of fail. I wish Christina had released a video for Just A Fool and Avril one for Push, and Ashlee one for Little Miss Obessive, and so on. I think at this point, Nelly is doing this for her fans and not necessarily for success.
Gabe
Gabe
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Eater Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:11 am

Nelly should put "releasing a best selling album again" on her bucket list

shell live forever.
Soul Eater
Soul Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next