2012 Tour Calendar and Winners

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 2012 Tour Calendar and Winners

Post by Gary on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 am

2012 Bogota (International) Winner: Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino

BOGOTÁ, Colombia - Nineteen-year-old Spaniard Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino wasn't one of the favorites at the start of the week at the XX Copa BBVA Colsanitas - ranked No.174, playing in just her third WTA main draw and facing a 5-2 third set deficit in her opening match, it seemed like the dream was over. But in the high altitudes of Bogotá, she took her game to brand new heights.

Arruabarrena-Vecino made it out of that first round match against No.8 seed Patricia Mayr-Achleitner, battling back for a 61 36 76(3) victory, then didn't lose a set the rest of the week, in fact losing just 21 games in her next four matches combined. Playing fellow first-time WTA finalist Alexandra Panova in Sunday's final she had some trouble closing it out, missing out on her first five match points, but she dusted a 62 75 victory off on her sixth match point.

"It was a very tough final today," Arruabarrena-Vecino said after the match. "Alexandra has been playing so well this week, so I knew it would be tough and I would need to run a lot. But I played well - I was very happy with my forehand today and even though I was nervous at the end, I managed to finish the match.

"Before the tournament, if someone had told me I would win the title, I wouldn't believe them. And I almost lost first round, too. It was really tough to get used to the conditions but after I came back to win that first match I got more and more confident. I played one of my best matches of the week in the final today.

"I love this court. I love it here. This is a very special title for me."

Gary
Admin
Admin

http://stillstanding.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 am

Dubai (Premier) Winner: Agnieszka Radwanska

A regular at the top of the game, if not at the tippity top, Agnieszka Radwanska won the eighth title of her career at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, a Premier Level event. She beat out Julia Goerges in the final 7-5, 6-4.

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 am

Memphis (International) Winner: Sofia Arvidsson

Sofia Arvidsson capped another perfect week at her best tournament on Saturday night, beating Marina Erakovic in straight sets for the second WTA title of her career at the Memphis International.

Arvidsson, who was playing the final here for the third time - she won the title in 2006 and was a runner-up to Maria Sharapova in 2010 - came out slowly, losing the first two games of the match. But she won six of the next seven to take the first set then broke serve in the seventh game of the second set - she held the rest of the way to close Erakovic out on center court, 63 64.

"Marina beat me really easily the last time we played, so I expected a really tough match," Arvidsson said. "After the first two games I really came into it. I think my serve was working really well, and my backhand was really good, especially down the line. I just tried to be relaxed but aggressive too."

Memphis has always been Arvidsson's best tournament, as not only has she reached three of her four career WTA finals here (her other final came at Québec City in 2005, where she finished runner-up to Amy Frazier), but she has now also won twice as many matches in Memphis than at any other event - she has 18 wins here, the next-highest being Québec City, where she has nine.

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 am

Monterrey (International) Winner: Timea Babos

Timea Babos continued her breakthrough Latin American swing at the Whirlpool Monterrey Open on Sunday night, claiming her first WTA title with a 64 64 final win over Alexandra Cadantu.

Having gone into Bogotá last week with just one WTA main draw match win to her name, the 18-year-old Babos surprised everyone with her first WTA semifinal. She managed to surpass that in Monterrey, taking out some of the best players in the draw to reach her very first WTA final - among her victims en route were No.3 seed Sorana Cirstea and No.2 seed Sara Errani.

Meanwhile, on the other half of the draw, Cadantu also took out two seeds en route to her first WTA final, but on the day it was Babos who lifted her game higher one more time, never losing serve - in fact never even being pushed to deuce on her serve - and recording one critical break of serve per set.

"I was actually surprised because it was my first final and I wasn't nervous or tight," Babos said just after the final. "I just tried to play my tennis and stay aggressive. I was also really trying to keep my serve all the time, and she didn't have a break point, which was really positive for me. Then as soon as I had a chance on her serve I played a good point or hit a winner when I really needed it.

"I had some big wins this week, like Sara Errani, who is a great player, and the toughest battle of the week for me. I'm so happy with how I played this week.

"I'm so glad to make it. This is a really new feeling. It feels amazing."

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:25 am

Acapulco (International) Winner: Sara Errani

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 am

Kuala Lumpur (International) Winner: Hsieh Su-Wei

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:33 am

Indian Wells (Premier Mandatory) Winner: Victoria Azarenka

Nine days ago she was on the verge of it all coming to an end, just two points from losing her opening match. But no one has more belief these days, and after surviving that one Victoria Azarenka just got better - now she is the Indian Wells champion and 23-0 on the year.

Last Friday, Azarenka survived a three-hour thriller against young German Mona Barthel, originally leading 64 51 but eventually finding herself down 4-1 in the third set, even two points from losing down 5-3, 30-0 - she was two points from losing again in the tie-break but managed to scrape through, 64 67(4) 76(6).

Azarenka had beaten Barthel routinely at the Australian Open and Doha.

"I never really heard much about her before this year, and now I have to play her every tournament!" Azarenka said afterwards. "She really stepped it up and showed incredible strokes and serves. All the credit to her. It was survival."

No one would come close again. The No.1-ranked Azarenka lost a total of just nine games in her next three matches, then scored a 64 63 win over No.15 seed Angelique Kerber in the semifinals, which would be her next-closest match all tournament long - that win pushed her 2012 record to 22-0, making hers the best start to a season since Martina Hingis went 37-0 to kick 1997 off.

In a rare match-up between the Top 2, in fact the first WTA final featuring the Top 2 in more than four years, Azarenka faced World No.2 Maria Sharapova in the final, a head-to-head she has dominated as of late, winning all three of their previous finals in straight sets. In their last one at the Australian Open in January, she won nine straight games from 3-all to run away with it, 63 60.

Gary
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:51 am

2012 Miami Winner : Agnieszka Radwanska

-Her 9th Title
-Her 2nd Title of the Year
-Has won 9 out of 11 Finals Played

-Total Prize Money increases to $8,600,594 making her the 31st Highest Ever